Wednesday 30 September 2020

Funky Soul


Hi!

Funk & Soul. Genres and subsequent sub-genres steeped in history, deeply rooted in African traditions. I'd recommend these articles to start educating yourself and start understanding it's importance: The Impact Of Funk and What Is Funk?, then Google has a tonne more info when you're done reading! ;)

Funk and Soul have been a massive part of my life ever since my very first minute on this Earth! My Mum is (almost) as big a music fan as I am, with an OBSESSION for funk and soul music. Ya know those childhood Summer mornings when you were trying to have a lay-in as a kid, but your Mum had other ideas?! Them ones. She'd be opening all windows wide, music blasting? That was my Mum. With Soul, Funk, Hip-Hop and RnB. I'm not exaggerating when I say these songs have been a massive part in my life, I've heard them nearly every day for 20+ years of my life! She still attends Soul weekends, and she's still blasting her favs at any opportunity.

I've put together a Spotify playlist showcasing some of my very favourite Funk & Soul tracks:


These songs have me feeling all types of ways, mostly grateful. Grateful to be able to experience the art of Funk & Soul and if I could thank every single person who had a hand in creating and influencing the music, I would. I'm so thankful to my Mum for opening my eyes to such an incredible genre of music, and I can promise I'll be doing the same for my child eventually.


Tweet @ me, let me know your fav funk & Soul track!

Talk soon! x

2 comments

  1. I love this playlist! So many of my favourites on there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Can't go wrong with a funk & soul playlist really! So many hits, I've been listening non-stop all day, haha :)

      Delete